Master Food Preserver Q&A
Anyone can call 715-346-1316 and ask specific questions about food safety, or food preservation. Calls will be answered from 7:30am-4:30pm Monday-Friday. Questions may also be emailed to email@example.com. No question is too strange!
UW-Extension Preservation Publications
*Most of these publications are available to view (pdf) or print for free. They can also be obtained at the Portage County UW-Extension for the cost of printing.
Publications with recipes
- Canning Fruits Safely
- Canning Meat, Wild Game, Poultry & Fish Safely
- Canning Salsa Safely
- Canning Vegetables Safely
- Freezing Fruits & Vegetables
- Homemade Pickles & Relishes
- Making Jams, Jellies & Fruit Preserves
- Tomatoes Tart & Tasty
- Wisconsin’s Wild Game: Enjoying the Harvest
- Make your own Sauerkraut
- Freezing Home Prepared Foods
- Guidelines for Making Safe Jerky at Home
- Maple Syrup Making
- Drying Fruits & Vegetables
- Storing Fruits & Vegetables from the Home Garden
Publications that do not include specific recipes
- Using & Caring for a Pressure Canner
- Using Clear Jel (A great way to thicken jam or jelly~the best substitute for pectin)
- Specific Equipment & Supplies for Food Preservation
- Safe Canning Methods
Other Helpful Resources
- National Center for Home Food Preservation – A great how-to website for beginners looking for research based preservation knowledge.
- Food Safety & Health – A resource created by University of Madison about food safety and preservation.
- Ball Company – A wonderful place for tested recipes and new canning innovations.
Free Pressure Canner Testing
Don’t forget to have the dial gauge on your pressure canner tested. It is recommended to have this gauge tested every year. Only the following brands can be tested: Presto, Maid of Honor, Magic Seal, and National canners.
The Portage County UW-Extension offers pressure canner testing at no charge. Please call 715-346-1316 to set up an appointment. Appointments are usually available the same day depending on staff availability. Our office is open between the hours of 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. Testing usually takes between 5-10 minutes.