Free Pressure Canner Testing
Don’t forget to have the dial gauge on your pressure canner tested. It is recommended to have this gauge tested every year. Only the following brands can be tested: Presto, Maid of Honor, Magic Seal, and National canners.
The Portage County UW-Extension offers pressure canner testing at no charge. Please call 715-346-1316 to set up an appointment. Appointments are usually available the same day depending on staff availability. Our office is open between the hours of 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. Testing usually takes between 5-10 minutes.
Portage County Master Food Preserver Program
A Master Food Preserver is a person who takes classes and is then certified by the UW-Extension. A certified Master Food Preserver must volunteer 20 hours of their time to food preservation and safety related issues in the community. Since the programs beginning in July of 2011, 5 people have become Master Food Preservers. The Master Food Preservers have also planned and implemented various programs throughout the year.
Master Food Preserver Q&A
Anyone can call 715-346-1316 and ask specific questions about food safety, or food preservation. Calls will be answered from 7:30am-4:30pm Monday-Friday. Questions may also be emailed to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. No question is too strange!
Fresh for All Seasons
Fresh for All Seasons is a volunteer organization created by the Central Wisconsin Resiliency Project in conjunction with the UW-Extension. Fresh for All Season volunteers can and freeze excess produce donated by community members and community efforts like Community Giving Gardens and Plant-A-Row activities. After processing, all the finished products go to local food pantries for year-round enjoyment.
Master Food Preserver Demonstrations & Workshops
As workshops dates become available, they will be posted. For more information call 715-346-1316 or stop by the Portage County UW-Extension Office located in the County Annex Building, 1462 Strongs Avenue, Stevens Point.
UW-Extension Preservation Publications
*Most of these publications are available to view (pdf) or print for free. They can also be obtained at the Portage County UW-Extension for the cost of printing.
Publications with recipes
- Canning Fruits Safely
- Canning Meat, Wild Game, Poultry & Fish Safely
- Canning Salsa Safely
- Canning Vegetables Safely
- Freezing Fruits & Vegetables
- Homemade Pickles & Relishes
- Making Jams, Jellies & Fruit Preserves
- Tomatoes Tart & Tasty
- Wisconsin’s Wild Game: Enjoying the Harvest
- Make your own Sauerkraut
- Freezing Home Prepared Foods
- Guidelines for Making Safe Jerky at Home
- Maple Syrup Making
Publications that do not include specific recipes
- Using & Caring for a Pressure Canner
- Keeping Food Safe
- Using Clear Jel (A great way to thicken jam or jelly~the best substitute for pectin)
- Specific Equipment & Supplies for Food Preservation
- Safe Canning Methods
Other Helpful Resources
- National Center for Home Food Preservation – A great how-to website for beginners looking for research based preservation knowledge.
- Food Safety & Health – A resource created by University of Madison about food safety and preservation.
- Ball Company – A wonderful place for tested recipes and new canning innovations.
- Food Safety in Your Home – A source for education on food safety in your home.